Wednesday 29 July 2015

The "yeah, but that is YOU" excuse

Source: Corey Dalh (Flickr)
Okay, time for a little rant. I am very passionate about education technology...well, technology in general and whenever I find something amazing or have success with a new tool, I gotta share it with other people. I love when people share their great ideas with me, especially when they are so easy to access. However, there are still many teachers who are just not interested. Here are a few of the responses that I hear:

  • That is interesting. Maybe next year.
  • That is interesting, but I don't see it working for this class.
  • That looks like it takes a lot of extra time that I don't have.
  • Is it really worth it?
Many of those are reasonable responses and I can sympathize. Each class is different and what would work for one class would not necessarily work for another. I have had great plans and tools that have been amazing for one class and then fallen flat the next year with the new class. However, there is one excuse that just drives me nuts. It's this one:
  • Yeah, but that is YOU.
The problem that I have with this statement is that it shuts down the conversation! This is a teacher making the statement "I can't do that and will never be able to". We encourage students to always try new things and believe in themselves and yet, at the same time, some teachers will not practice what they preach. What it is really saying to me is more like "I don't want to".

Okay, enough ranting for one morning...I need another coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment